National football team
Report: Neuer to be Germany's number one at 2026 World Cup
19.05.2026, 14:30
Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer will be Germany's number one during the World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico, the Bild newspaper said.
According to the report, coach Julian Nagelsmann has informed Hoffenheim keeper Oliver Baumann during a call that he has been demoted and that 2014 World Cup champion Neuer will be the national team's starting keeper.
Baumann reportedly assured the coach that he would be available to the squad as a backup goalkeeper.
Nagelsmann is to announce his 26-man squad on Thursday and Neuer would be the biggest surprise.
The Bayern player retired from the national team after Euro 2024. Former Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen (now at Girona) was set to become his successor, but was plagued by several long-term injuries.
Nagelsmann eventually handed the position to Baumann, who was the starter during the World Cup qualifiers.
Nagelsmann and Neuer have been recently asked about the matter but so far refused to make any clear statement.
Neuer suffered a calf injury in the last Bundesliga match of the season against Cologne on last weekend, but Bild said the injury is not serious and that he will likely be available for the German Cup final against VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
Bayern said on Sunday that Neuer would need to "scale back his workloard for the time being."
Matthäus criticizes communication strategy
Germany icon Lothar Matthäus said that he would welcome Neuer's return, but he criticized the German Football Federation's (DFB) communication strategy.
"From a purely sporting perspective, I find this decision completely understandable. What I don't like, however, is the way it was communicated," the 1990 World Cup champion wrote in his column on the website of broadcaster Sky.
He said he felt there was a lack of honesty and transparency in the way Baumann and the fans were treated.
Nagelsmann took a path that "may have been the right one for him, but it sparked unnecessary controversy," Matthäus criticized.
"That said, I don't blame him personally, this issue affects the entire DFB. There are experienced officials working there. Situations like this should have been avoided early on," he added.
Sammer: No sympathy for Baumann
Former Germany player Matthias Sammer, meanwhile, said he has no sympathy for Baumann.
"Not at all. Competitive sports aren't just honey, milk, and chocolate. The best player has to play. There's no other argument," the 1996 European champion said on the "Sammer & Basile – Der Hagedorn-Talk" sports show.
Sensitivity is all well and good, he said, "but it may not be suitable for competitive sports. That might be unfair. But who says life is always fair?"
The decision to take Neuer is the right one, Sammer said.
"The goal has to be to have the best goalkeeper available right now. And Neuer is the best German goalkeeper we have."
Further speculation
According to Sky, VfB Stuttgart trio of Deniz Undav, Jamie Leweling, and Angelo Stiller will be named to the squad, while the Bild newspaper said that Borussia Dortmund mifielder Felix Nmecha is also on the list.
Meanwhile, another Stuttgart trio - Chris Führich, Josha Vagnoman, and Maximilian Mittelstädt - as well as Robert Andrich of Bayer Leverkusen won't travel to the World Cup, according to broadcaster RTL.